Metabolic Health and Vitality for Women Over 40
ONLINE TRAINING BY KIRA SUTHERLAND & LARA BRIDEN
Female hormones affect every aspect of health including mood, muscles, and metabolism. That’s why women have different nutritional requirements compared to men, and why women over 40 can experience metabolic challenges as their hormones change.
In this half-day workshop, Kira and Lara will combine their expertise in sports nutrition and women’s health to build on their last workshop (Metabolism & The Menstrual Cycle) and bring you unique insights into the metabolic challenge of perimenopause. They present new research as well as practical insights from nearly 50 years of combined clinical experience.
It’s a woman-centred approach to wellness and weight loss with two very experienced clinicians.
The Workshop Program
This workshop is divided into 2 x 2 hour lecture recordings covering the following topics.
1. The missing health science for mid-life women
- The science gender gap.
- Why nutritional advice for young women and men cannot always be applied to mid-life women.
2. What happens after 40
- The 4 phases of perimenopause and how to assess it.
- The physiological changes including the recalibration of the brain, HPA axis, immune system, and metabolism.
- The shift to insulin resistance.
- Unexpected and stubborn weight gain around the middle.
- Why perimenopause is a tipping point for long-term health.
3. Dynamics of muscle and mitochondria
- What is sarcopenia?
- The role of muscle and mitochondria in health and metabolism.
- How to build muscle and support mitochondria with fuelling, training, and supplements.
- Why women over 40 have an increased requirement for protein and leucine.
- The close relationship between muscle health, brain health, and bone health.
4. Deep dive into Insulin Resistance
- Dynamics of insulin, mitochondria, and cellular metabolism.
- How to diagnose insulin resistance and fatty liver.
- How to reverse insulin resistance and fatty liver including new herbal medicine research and an insight into oxytocin.
5. Survey of Weight Loss Strategies
- The importance of macronutrients for women over 40.
- How to manage “set point” when it comes to weight loss.
- Pros and cons of popular diets including keto and intermittent fasting.
6. Modern Hormone Therapy
- When bioidentical hormone therapy became conventional.
- Why estrogen is a weight loss hormone.
- The benefits of progesterone-only treatment.
- Testosterone supplementation and weight gain.
7. Question and Answer session (20 minutes)
Key learning outcomes of this workshop include:
Understanding how female reproductive hormones influence nutrition, metabolism and general health in women over 40.
Come away with new ways to assess and help women over 40 with their health and weight loss goals.
Understand the physiological changes of perimenopause and its effect on weight loss in women over 40.
Learn from new research and clinical pearls from Kira and Lara’s 50 years of combined experience.
The knowledge shared in this workshop is primarily designed for health and wellness practitioners and students, however, we believe it also highly useful information for any woman who wants to better understand her body, hormones, and her health; so we welcome anyone who wishes to enrol including general public, personal trainers, athletes, fitness enthusiasts and health coaches.
“I am 100% happy that I attended. I felt really motivated and stimulated, for me as much as my clients. The research was translated into do-able actions. Thanks so very much for excellent information presented beautifully.”
Naturopath, Lecturer, Writer
“Thank you! I found the course structure and materials very useful. There were clear slides on everything but I especially found the slides on weight loss, circadian rhythms & nervous system particularly valuable.”
“I found the deep dive into the finer details of perimenopause/menopause very valuable. I also appreciated the little tips and tricks to take into clinic.”
Dr Chinese Medicine & Acupuncture
“This training really refined the thoughts I already had in regards to insulin sensitivity in the over 40 population and I'm more confident to try out some fasting options both personally and professionally.”
Naturopathic Doctor, Best-Selling Author, Speaker
Lara Briden is a naturopathic doctor and bestselling author of the books Period Repair Manual and Hormone Repair Manual — practical guides to treating period problems with nutrition, supplements, and body-identical hormones.
A graduate of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (1997) and the University of Calgary (evolutionary biology), Lara serves on several scientific advisory committees including The Centre for Ovulation and Menstruation Research (CeMCOR) at the University of British Columbia.
She is a popular speaker and has delivered keynote presentations for the Australasian Integrative Medicine Association (AIMA), the Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS), the University of Otago, Endometriosis New Zealand, Endometriosis Association of Queensland (QENDO), and the Evolutionary Health Society of New Zealand (EHA).
Lara currently has consulting rooms in Christchurch, New Zealand, where she treats women with PCOS, PMS, endometriosis, perimenopause, and many other hormone and period related health problems.
Sports Nutritionist, Naturopath, Lecturer
Kira Sutherland is a Naturopathic Sports Nutritionist to some of the world's best athletes. She also lectures and mentors upcoming practitioners in the field of sports nutrition, and offers online courses for supporting athletes, trainers and sports enthusiasts how to nourish the body to achieve peak performance and fitness.
Using her 25+ years of clinical experience she has combined her knowledge of Naturopathic medicine with education in sports nutrition to create a truly wholistic approach to optimising performance for athletes and those striving for optimum health - especially women. Having lectured both within Australia and internationally on all things Naturopathic and sports nutrition, she is passionate about teaching people to take care of their bodies for the long term, not just treating them in the present moment. Kira believes that the role of a practitioner is to empower and teach clients to take care of themselves, to give them as much knowledge as possible.
“You offer such a depth of research based knowledge together with interesting cultural and social perspectives in your course. The information shared has given me greater confidence with treatment recommendations, was helpful for my own health and sports training, and reinforced knowledge I have in the cycle coach area of my work and helpful information for the menstrual education sessions I offer.”
RN/IVF nurse. Naturopath. Certified Cycle Coach.
“The whole webinar was a great dive into honouring female physiology and how we can best educate/help our clients to harness their best out of their bodies. As we were going through the material I was thinking about certain clients and how I could apply what I was learning to each of them. You two are a power-couple of knowledge and each of your passions for women's health compliment each other so well. 10/10!”
Naturopath, Medical Herbalist, Massage Therapist
Workshop: Metabolic Health and Vitality for Women Over 40
Includes instant access to 4 hours of educational training videos, slide decks of the presentations, bonus downloadable resources.